Re: TR6 - Elec Prob - Ignition Wires

To: JoeSimcoe@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 - Elec Prob - Ignition Wires
From: TR6Massey@aol.com
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 05:11:31 -0500
Joe writes about an intermitttent electrical problem.

Joe:

Intermittent electrical problems keep electrical experts up at night.  These
are the worst problems to diagnose.

You didn't mention which model year your car is but when you mention circular
connector I'll assume (assume = ass/u/me) it is a later vintage (there is a
difference).  I've experienced two problems with ignition switches on two
different cars.  One problem was with the circular connector.  One part of
the connector has pins and the mating connector has sockets.  The sockets
tend to loose their compression over the years and the contacts get
intermittent.  Take a very small screwdriver and very carefully bend the
socket contacts inward to restore a small amount of contact pressure.  Do not
over bend as the contacts may break.  Spray both sets of contacts with
contact cleaner (available at Radio Shack) and cross your fingers.

I had to replace the ignition switch on my 71 because the contacts in the
switch were bad.  Here the symptom was as you described; the car would die at
random (and the overdrive would also drop out which made for fun on the
highway).

Good luck with your problem.

Dave