Re: Carb Kit <960316165736_74741.2020_EHL90-1@CompuServe.COM

To: Neil Beasley <74741.2020@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Carb Kit <960316165736_74741.2020_EHL90-1@CompuServe.COM>
From: Berry Kercheval <kerch@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 1996 12:57:07 PST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>>>Neil Beasley said:
 > In my carb, there is a fitting in the side of the float chamber and the floa
 > flap fits against it as it rises. However, this fitting doesn't have a ball
 > float in it--only a short tube. Is the Grose-Jet in the kit a replacement fo
 > this fitting?

Yes, it is.  It is supposed to be a superior replacement, though its
superiority is controversial.

The old needle valve always just came out for me with an appropriate size
socket.

 > Second question. The metering needle fits in a long tube going down into the
 > float chamber and the seat is obviously in this tube where I can't see it. I
 > guess a special tool is needed to remove the seat so I won't try that. The
 > needle did have a lot of hard rocklike material on it which I cleaned off wi
     th
 > abrasive cloth. I assume that didn't matter since the seat is where the work
      is
 > done. Is that right?

Do you mean the long spring loaded needle attached to the piston?  No. the
profile of that needle is VERY important.  The fuel is metered through the
annular opening made by the needle and the jet.  The chamber obove the piston
is connected to the intake manifold, where it "senses" the vacuum (or in
british terms "depression" meaning depression of the needle on the manometer
measureing the pressure, I guess) As the depression increases, atmosperic
pressure on the other side ogf the diaphragm raises the piston and meters more
fuel.

CD means "constant depression", and is my usual state when contemplating
carburettors.

You *may* have ruined the needles.  Luckily they aren't expensive.  Check that
they are the right ones, too; I have found cars with
all *sorts* of odd needles in them.

 > Third question. The float assembly is held on to the body by two small rivet
 > looking attachments. One these appears to be loose. Should it be and how
could
 > one tighten it?

Mine is help on by a pin that snaps into holes in the legs of a u-shaped
bracket that is fastened to the carb body; I forget how.  It should not be
loose.

  --berry

Berry Kercheval :: kerch@parc.xerox.com :: Xerox Palo Alto Research Center