'Sports Cars' and Motorcycles

To: triumphs@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: 'Sports Cars' and Motorcycles
From: "Kevin M. Beam" <kbeam@almc-lee.army.mil>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 96 09:54:08 EST
I just returned from having our TR3 inspected.  It passed.  My wife
would say that it should considering the amount of time I've spent on it
and the number of times the vendors have heard our charge card numbers
this winter.  While in the queue at the service station, I picked up the
December 1995 issue of Popular Science.

Not to prolong the debate of the correct definition of a "sports car"; I
saw on page 13 an article on the Dodge Viper GTS-R.  The article begins,
"The classic British definition of a sports car is `a two seater that
can, in a pinch, be raced.'"  Works for me.  Also worked for the county
law enforcement officer who kindly curbed my exhilaration of driving a
"sports car" by following me into our neighborhood.  Oh well.

And in the same 'zine on page 48 is "Best of What's New":  "The
venerable Triumph Motorcycle marque is back, minus the dreaded
electrical and oil-seeping faults that plagued British bikes of yore.
Modern in every aspect, the new family of Triumphs is built around
freshly designed three- and four- cylinder engines that pull like
locomotives.  Particularly endearing is the Speed Triple, an agile 900 cc
racer that elicits visceral, wind-in-the-face joy in the rider.  It's
great to see shapely new gas tanks wearing that lovely old logo."

It appears these new bikes share more than just lineage with our beloved
cars.

Kevin Beam                             1957 TR3
Richmond Triumph Register              TS14532L
                                      "Trashcan"