re: TR6 Carb Problem

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: TR6 Carb Problem
From: jluke@unm.edu (James Luke)
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 96 21:28 MST
------------------------------
> Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 15:24:46 -0800
> From: dwilliam@mail.educ.gov.bc.ca (David Williams)

> I'm just fininshing up a major renovation of a 74 TR6 and have run into
> some gasoline problems.  When I drive the car then shut it off, the carbs
> start spitting gasoline out with varying intensities.  Sometimes
> nothing....all the way to sometimes when both carbs have literally poured
> gasoline out.   [...]
> My suspicions are that a carb rebuild, with new jets and a proper float
> adjustment will be the fix I need  [...]

You are probably right, correct float adjustment and new needle valve will
fix it.  However, I had the same problem in a '64 Sprite, (with correct
float height and new Grose Jets) and it turned out to be a plugged vent
hole in the float chamber.  With the float chamber full, the float held
the valve closed.  (electric fuel pumps make the diagnostics easier ...)
As soon as the fuel level dropped and the needle valve opened, the air
pressure in the chamber wouldnt let the level rise, and the gas poured out
through the jet into the carb as fast as the fuel pump would push it in
through the needle valve.
If this only happens after you shut the engine off, the cause is probably
the gas boiling in the float chambers (my Fiat X-1/9 does this - I pulled
the lid off the carb and saw it happening) (remember the carbs are right
on top of the exhaust manifold), but the solution is probably
the same - make sure there is an open vent to atmosphere.

Jim Luke     '66 TR4A   '80 X-1/9   '84 Ford