Using low octane fuel - advice needed

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Using low octane fuel - advice needed
From: Liquid@massey.ac.nz
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 21:31:51 +0000
Here in New Zealand Leaded Super has now been phased out, being replaced by
Super Unleaded with a similar octane rating (96 cf. 95 in the old fuel).
However, the new fuel is currently being investigated amidst reports that
it may be causing rubber components in fuel systems to fail and may be
responsible for several car fires in the pat few days.  This morning I was
faced with the dilemma of having to buy my first tank of unleaded for our
Mk1 2L Vitesse.  I chose to use the regular unleaded (91 octane) fuel, but
now need some advice on what adjustments I need to make (preferably not
involving a syphon tube!) to make the engine run satisfactorily.
Presumably the iginition will need retarding (currently at 12 btdc static,
with the UK spec 9:1? head).  Can anyone estimate roughly by how much?
Will the mixture need readjusting? Is there anything else? Once the
ignition is retarded is the engine more likely to overheat in traffic?

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Pat Edwards

Dept. of Chemistry
Massey University
Palmerston North