Re: Wanted: Halda trip/twinmaster

To: Paul Thompson <paul@btcase.bt.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Wanted: Halda trip/twinmaster
From: "A.N.Clark" <afu058@bangor.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 14:48:56 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Tue, 12 Mar 1996, Paul Thompson wrote:

> I'm looking for a Halda tripmaster or twinmaster for my TR4. I have
> heard that prices tend to be different on a country by country basis, so
> I would be interested if you know the current prices outside the UK.
>
> If you have any spares or a trip for sale please let me know. Names of
> any suppliers would also be useful.
>
> I've just started a bit of historic road rallying and have enjoyed it
> alot the trouble is I can imagine it's going to be a road to ruin
> financially!
>
> Paul.

Paul,
interesting to hear of another Triumph enthusiast who sounds as if he's
about to be bitten by the historic rallying bug... I'm in a similar
position, and having done 3 Targa Rusticanas (NOT reccommended as a
beginner's rally) I competed in the novices' rally put on by the Amman
and District Motor Club in Merthyr Tydfil two weekends ago. We actually
managed to come second overall, it being my 4th. rally and my navigator's
second ever! As for Haldas... I bought a modern Terratrip electronic trip
which does no more than a Halda (i.e. just two trips - no clocks /
average speeds etc.) and is therefore permitted in most historic rallies,
since the organisers of these events have realised there aren't enough
Haldas to go round. As you will be aware knowing your distance to the
nearest 0.01 mile, as opposed to 0.1 mile if you're lucky on your
inaccurate Triumph speedo is a boon. You can get Terratrips from Demon
Tweeks for about 150 pounds. Good luck!
Andrew