RE: more rear end noises

To: cboston@zeu.tt.umist.ac.uk
Subject: RE: more rear end noises
From: dan parslow <DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 9:11:57 -0700 (MST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM
"Chris Boston" <cboston@zeu.tt.umist.ac.uk> writes:

> Ok, with all this talk of rear end noises, I must add my own problem: A very
> disturbing rattle on initial take-up (more like a clunking), that vibrates the
> whole car.  Any offers?

Check your engine mounts first, including the rear ones on the
trans.  If they seem okay, move to the much more complicated
back end:

Check the torque of the bolts and the condition of the bushes in the

 Spring eyes
 Trailing arms
 Rear differential mount

The last is a little difficult to get at.  You pretty much have to
remove the diff.  But that's okay, you wanted to drain and replace
the gear oil (GL4!) anyway, didn't you?

Trailing arms are traitorous things;  the nyloc nuts can unscrew
themselves, causing the bolt to get loose.  You get bad clunks
on startup and especially on reverse if this happens.  Eventually
the arm falls and drags on the ground.  Never reuse nylocs here
(or anywhere to be safe) and use a torque wrench when installing.

If any of your bushes are expired, they're probably all pretty bad.
A very little cracking around the edges is normal, and happens even to
new bushes.  But if they're starting to look crumbly, replace them
all as a set.  Particularly the rear diff mounts, when they go it's
bad news indeed.

- Dan Parslow
djp@alpha.sunquest.com