Re:Drilling out spot welds...

To: Triumph Mail List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re:Drilling out spot welds...
From: David Rupert <75701.242@compuserve.com>
Date: 28 Feb 96 15:41:02 EST
Jon,

The spot weld cutter from Eastwood only drills through the top panel.  The spot
weld cutter looks like a miniature hole saw of about 3/8" diameter.  However,
where a regular hole saw has a drill bit in the center, this little jewel has a
spring-loaded centering pin. When I used it, I would tap the center of the spot
weld with a sharp punch.  Then place the centering pin in the resulting divot
and drill away.  BTW, the cutter also has an adjustment for the depth of the
cut, so you can be sure not to cut all the way through the bottom panel.  You
will be left with a circular section of the top panel still attached to the
bottom one, which you can easily grind or file off.
 None of the spot welds on the body are made to the frame (on the early TR's)
only to other body panels.  If you are going to do both floor pans (or even one,
for that matter) be sure to order plenty of spare cutter bits.  They do wear out
rather soon.

David Rupert
75701.242@compuserve.com
1967 TR4A (rigid axle)