BOUNCE triumphs: Non-member submission from [pdf@fullam.com]

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: BOUNCE triumphs: Non-member submission from [pdf@fullam.com]
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@spitfire.cs.utah.edu>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 14:24:27 -0500
    From: pdf@fullam.com
    Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 12:14:08 -0500 (EST)
    Subject: Orig. Owner, price, door handles, TR4 oil seals

Hi all

I can add another original owner: 63 TR4, CT19207L. Bought July 23, 1963,
$3,074.00 out the door with dealer prep and Michelin X tires. I have the
original window sticker and hand-written price tag. The spare is one of the
original Michelin Xs cuz it'll fit in the spare tire well. After 33 years,
it's not all hard or anything. Noooo... :-)

On the Spitfire door handle string, I had the same sort of problem on the 4
(Did earlier Spits & TR4s use the same handles?) The left door was "locked"
all the time. The problem on mine was a little diecast plunger about 3/4"
long. It goes between the lock cylinder and the door latch release lever. It
has 2 little tabs on one end. When the door is unlocked, these tabs rest on
2 ledges in the cylinder. When you lock the door, the cylinder rotates so
that the tabs are off the ledges. When you push the door button, a slot in
the cylinder goes up past the tabs and the plunger doesn't move (or push the
release lever). One of these tabs broke off and the plunger wouldn't engage
on the ledges. The concept is much like an SU carb: very easy to understand
once you see it. I scrambled parts on a TR4A handle to assemble a good one.

On the front oil seal, if you press it in flush with the inside face of the
timing cover, it leaves a gap at the bottom (front) of the seal housing.
This gap is where you put the tool/lever/bent screwdriver/puller to get the
seal back out the next time you change it.

See you all in Albany.

Pete Fullam
Dianne Fullam
Registrars VTR 96