Re: TR4-Front oil seal

To: Pat Leask <pleask@mailhost.wlc.com>
Subject: Re: TR4-Front oil seal
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 07:38:27 -0600 (CST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Tue, 5 Mar 1996, Pat Leask wrote:

> 1. The HUB that holds the pully onto the crankshaft (This is what rubs on
> the oil seal) has a VERY slight grove from I assume, the oil seal. It is so
> slight that I can hardly feel it. Should I replace this hub ?

        No! First determine if this slight groove is the real source of your
        leak. Replace the seal first. If that doesn't cure your leak, get a
        "Speedy Sleeve" from Roadster Factory and sleeve the hub.

> is what seems like it is or was felt that is about 1/8" wide, it is hard,
> like dried out....

        ...leather? That's what they used.

> 4. No doubht I am getting a new oil seal. Does a machine shop have to put it
> in, or is it something I can do.

        Yes, you can do it in your very own garage... Carefully remove the
        old seal (you can tap it out wit a screwdriver). Don't bung up the
        timing chain cover. Then tap the new seal in until it seats
        against the housing (use a hardwood dowel for this).

        Good luck,
        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois