TR4-Front oil seal

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4-Front oil seal
From: pleask@mailhost.wlc.com (Pat Leask)
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 20:02:16 -0800
You guys remember the "Rear main oil seal" saga... well that's all done
with. Now I fixed 80 % of my oil leak problem I found the other 20 % (19.9% !).

Tonight I pulled of the timing chain cover to replace the oil seal and
noticed a couple of thing I need you opinion on please.

1. The HUB that holds the pully onto the crankshaft (This is what rubs on
the oil seal) has a VERY slight grove from I assume, the oil seal. It is so
slight that I can hardly feel it. Should I replace this hub ?

2. On the oil seal it's self. Boy, this is going to be fun to describe. On
the seal there is the main chunk of rubber, infront of that rubber (closer
to the front of the car is the main rubber is towards the rear of the car)
is what seems like it is or was felt that is about 1/8" wide, it is hard,
like dried out. Should it be?

3. Now, yet again, infront of the above (2) is the metal casing of the oil
seal. It is about 1/8" or a little less, of a gap between this metal casing
and the timing chain cover metal. Is this ok ? Should this metal casing not
be flush with the front timing chain cover ? I woundering if by chance the
oil seal was never properly seated ?

4. No doubht I am getting a new oil seal. Does a machine shop have to put it
in, or is it something I can do. I'm woundering if the DPO did not seat this
correctly which is why it was leaking. I will not say who the DPO is....

Many thanks.
Pat Leask
pleask@mailhost.wlc.com
Victoria B.C.