Re: BOUNCE shop-talk: Non-member submission from [Matt Wehland <mwehland

To: bkelley@ford.com
Subject: Re: BOUNCE shop-talk: Non-member submission from [Matt Wehland <mwehland@webtripper.com>]
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 96 18:18:30 MST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>Hi Tony,
>
>>  All things being equal, if you have access to a good compressor, I would
>> suggest an air die grinder.
>>  I realize not everyone has one available, but I have a CP  that I equipped
>> with an in line brake (pressure requlator in-line) and really like it as
>> opposed to my old Milwaukee, (not the beer).
>
>Got one.  I feel the speed control is much better.  I don't have to
>throttle it as I cut into the work.  I set the cutting speed I want
>and go to it.  I can select a low speed and dig a carbide burr into
>wood or plastic and the torque just comes up to match the load.
>
>I've got a line regulator.  It will limit speed but doesn't do much
>to prevent the rpms from dropping as soon as you load it up.
>
>>  One adjustment to get used to is the darn hose, which is heavier to drag
>> around than an electrical cord.
>
>Another point is the cold.  As the air expands through the tool it
>gets cold.  If you're grinding on a set of heads for a few hours it becomes
>an issue.  Your hands tend to get stiff.  An electric grinder gets
>warm, though not generally enough that it is a problem.
>
>  Brian
>

>--
>bkelley@ford.com

Brian,
 What, you mean you don't have a compressor heater?????
All well equipped shops should have one.  (tongue is in cheek)
 Points well made.
 I personally prefer the inline throttle on air. But then again, I still
use stones to cut into heads.
 Carbide is just too high tech for me.
 I guess you could say I'm still in the "Stone Age" Ha Ha.
Whatever works for you is great, don't let anybody talk you out of it.
Best Regards,
Tony R.
###