Re: GT6 engines

To: TRHeaven@aol.com
Subject: Re: GT6 engines
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 96 23:31:56 MST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>(SNIP)
  I found some GT6 engines today, 2 '72s and 1 '73,  they
>have been sitting for 12 years.  They are complete, carbs and all.  The parts
>yard wants $400 apiece for them.  Is this a reasonable price, or should I
>look elsewhere?  He didn't have any GT6 'boxes, but he thought he had a TR6
>'box (you said this might work, right?), didn't know a price yet.
>
>Could high-compression pistons be used in these late sixes?  What kind of
>high-perf parts are available?  Do you now of any nitrous kits for these
>cars, or will I have to fabricate parts for a system.  How reliable are these
>engines?  Could they withstand a little 'juice' now and then (SNIP)

Ron,
 The 72engine would be the better choice. Now, the trick is to find a
tranny fron 69-72 TR6.
 The TR6 tranny is beefier and will hold up better under loads. The main
difference is that the lay gear in a TR6 tranny is steel where in the GT6
it is bronze (or some other alloy)
 Milling the head and block and using a steel head gasket will be
tremendous help in using high comp. pistons. Ideally, dome pistons should
be used but I haven't been able to locate any that I like. TRF had some I
thinkwere domes, (Paul Newman brand) I forget who they were made by, butu
I haven't been able to check them out.
 NOS is pretty exciting for any engine, but it is cheaper than roller
rockers and rev kits.The jugs (cylinder liners) are pretty thin on these
engine but I think if you use NOS you would most likely burn up pistons
before you would hurt the liners.
 I am unaware of any specific NOS kit for these side draft engines, but I
think if you have the inclination and the money, Jeff Saleen in Phoenix, Az
and fix you right up.
 Jeff has been producing a nify compact turbo unit in different
configurations that go into weird places. Maybe you could consider a low
compression engine with a turbo. I know that is the direction I am looking
at myself for my next engine.
 How's that for an idea?
BTW, the price is about right for buildable engines.
Best Regards,
Tony R.
"GT6s"
###