Herald 1200 - twin carb set-up

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Herald 1200 - twin carb set-up
From: Phil Willson <P.J.Willson@qmw.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 1996 09:13:30 +0000 (GMT)
Hi all,

There, I thought I'd try the new-fangled to-the-point subject header so that
you can all delete
the message 'cos you've got TR's and Spitfires!

Anyhow, I have a serious question about the use of twin carbs on 1200cc Heralds
on behalf of
a U.S. member in downtown Logansport, Indiana:

1200's (and 12/50's) were normally supplied with single downdraught Solex carbs
and a
one-piece inlet/exhaust manifold casting.  However, there appears to have been
a twin 1.25
inch SU carb option and he would like to know what this included i.e. part
numbers and
whether the parts appeared on any other Triumph.  I wondered, for example, if
the carb and
manifolds were the same as the Mk1 or 2 Spitfire.  Also, what linkages and
cables were
involved for the left hand drive version or are they the same as RHD?  Is it
possible to use the
standard saloon manifold and (carefully) cut off the inlet portion? Finally,
does anyone have
any of these bits available for sale?

Wot a lot of questions, but my man in Indiana would be grateful for any replies.

Thanks

Phil
TSSC 13/60 secretary

Phil Willson