Re: TR4 Windshield aluminum bead problem

To: Bitparts@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR4 Windshield aluminum bead problem
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 96 00:19:32 MST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>Just put a new windshield in my 63 TR4.  Now I am trying to
>figure out how to put the aluminum beads back in.  What is
>the trick if there is one?  Have much dread theat I will bend
>one trying my ham-handed improvised tecniques. Thanks in advance!
>
>Warren Berg
>63 TR4
>61 Austin Healey 3000
>60 Austin Healey 3000
>71 Mercedes 280SL

Warren,
 I have installed quite a few windshield and back glasses in lbcs. and
have found that lubricating the bead groove with liquid soap works best
for me. Unlike silicone lube or other lubes, it washes away on the
surface without a residue.
 A tip: place the plastic bead into low boiling water for about two
minutes before trying to install it. When you remove the bead, let it
hang straight down for a few minutes to cool. Makes it a lot easier to
handle a semi-straight piece than one that continuously wants to curl up.
Best Regards,
Tony R.
"GT6s"
###