Which TR to buy?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Which TR to buy?
From: tgentr@rw1.rworld.com
Date: 3 Mar 1996 16:55:26 EDT
MA>1.  All things being equal, what is the most mechanically reliable triumph
MA>    model?  Are newer models necessarily more reliable?

It really matters more what kind of care the car has had than what
model or year.  My standard (pun intended) advise is "if you don't like
tinkering and don't want to learn about working on cars, don't buy a
lbc"

MA>2.  What should I look for when I look at a prospective purchase?  What
MA>parts on triumphs tend to rust?  Any characteristic egine problems to
MA>look for?

They all rust everywhere.  Check carefully the box frame rails and
floors and sills.  Everything else is relatively easy to fix.  For a
discussion of common drive train problems you probably need to narrow
it down to a specific model.

MA>3.  Is it better to buy a restored or unrestored car?

This really relates to personal preference and question 1.

MA>Answers to these questions and any other advice on the topic greatly
MA>appreciated!

Welcome to our madness!

Tom Gentry
'72 TR-6 OD