TR-6 clutch problem solution

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR-6 clutch problem solution
From: tlund@ilhawaii.net (Tom Lund)
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 1996 09:30:01 -1000
TR-6 clutch problem - not releasing properly.

First, bleed the system.

Next, check that the slave cylinder push rod is connected to the
middle hole on the clutch release lever. The DPO had it connected
to the hole farthest from the bell housing. You don't get enough
movement of the lever and the clutch may not release completely.
I moved it to the middle hole and the clutch still didn't release
completely. I moved it to the hole nearest the bell housing and
everything worked fine. This is not a good solution as you don't
get as much clutch movement and the pressure on the pedal to
release the clutch increases quite a bit. I moved it back to the
middle (correct) hole and looked elsewhere for the problem.

Check for excessive play in the connection between the clutch
pedal and the master cylinder push rod. The hole in my clutch
pedal is worn and there was quite a bit of play.

My solution was to use a square key (like you sometimes find on a
pulley and motor shaft) as a shim. You may (like I did) have to
grind it to make a good fit. Drill a hole near one end. Slide the key
(with the hole end up) between the back of the clutch pedal and the
master cylinder push rod. Put a cotter pin in the hole so it won't
fall out. Result - correct clutch operation!

Regards.........Tom Lund
Tom Lund
tlund@ilhawaii.net
Be sure and visit the Big Island of Hawaii at http://ilhawaii.net/