TR6 Thrust Bearings/End Play

To: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 Thrust Bearings/End Play
From: Glenn Franco <76644.2655@compuserve.com>
Date: 02 Mar 96 23:00:39 EST
Need some advice from those that have had similar problems. I have (what I
consider) excessive crank end play on my 1971 TR6. Didn't measure it with a dial
indicator but its visible. A couple of years ago I pulled the oil pan (again)
and checked and replaced them with new Vanervil (sp?) inserts. This was done
after I read of the Truimph engine being prone to this problem in "Your Classic"
magazine (now defunct/read Practical Classics now). The article was very
detailed and warned of thrust washers wearing, falling into the pan and severe
wear to the crank and block as  a result.

My thrust washers had little wear and didn't fall out. The journals and thrust
surface look good and the old washers showed normal wear. I saw no damage but my
end play is still excessive (measured with a feeler gauge) over .010" (this is a
guess since I did it a few seasons ago).

Questions.

Does anyone make oversize thrust bearings for the TR6 engine?
Has anyone has similar experiences?
This, I believe is the cause of early clutch acuation problems (see "Clutch
woes" post)

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Glenn Franco

email at 76644.2655@compuserve.com or GAF3@infoctr.chrysler.com

1971 TR6 (done)
1974 TR6 (hunting for performance parts)
1976 MGB (done)
1985 Jeep Scrambler (frame off fiberglass body restoration in process)