Re[2]: GT6 tuning help needed

To: woodruff%caen.engin.umich.edu_at_internet_gateway@ccmgate1.sc.intel.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re[2]: GT6 tuning help needed
From: Mike A Gendimenico <Mike_A_Gendimenico@ccm.sc.intel.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 95 13:40:00 PDT
Text item:

++> still sometimes idles really high when it gets hot (during the run this
++> happened, engine temp between 3/4 mark and red).

     /This sounds like your throttle plate bypass values are sticking
/open.  These things give me a lot of trouble too.  If the problem persists
/after you get the timing set properly, I'd try increasing the spring
/pressure on the valves a little bit at a time until the problem goes
/away. (you increase the spring pressure by turning the screw adjusters
/counterclockwise)  The PCV and vapor recovery system can cause a
/mega idle too, but I'm assuming you left that alone.

I'll try this, I've never adjusted these at all.  I left them as is when
I got the rebuilt carbs back by Apple. What do these do anyway?

     /I think you have a vacuum retard that is activated when the
/throttle plate is closed (there is a port in the carb throat).  I would
/disconnect the retard unit, plug the line, and time the engine using the
/earlier GT6 spec (something like 5 or 10 degrees BTDC).

/Verify that the timing increases dramatically when you first open the
/throttle.  BTW, this assumes that you have an idle retard system, but
/I'm not positive that is the case on a later California GT6 mk III
/like yours.

Yes, sounds like it.  the line hooks up to a port underneath the rear
carb then goes to the dist.  (the temp switch on the radiator is not
there since I have a GT6+ radiator installed.)  I've also noticed there
is no vacuum at the port when the carbs are choked.  When you say
"timing increases dramatically", I assume that you mean it advances,
since the vacuum on the retard goes away.

Mike

Text item: External Message Header