spitfire engine rebuild questions

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: spitfire engine rebuild questions
From: "Brent Martin" <b_martin@lifesci.lscf.ucsb.edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 1995 16:32:41 -0700 (PDT)
You may remember my 1500 spitfire with the shaking engine.

That came down to 2 problems: water pump leak shorted out the ignition and
the crank broke after the central bearing cap fell off (bolts backed out!)

Ok, so now the central bearing tower is damaged (2 mm deep dent that deforms
bolt hole so bearing cap bolt won't go in).

I have another 1500 engine that was blowing oil out of the dip stick hole
but was running just fine when removed from another car.

1. What is the minimum that can be done with that second engine?

2. Can you move parts such as pistons between engines?

3. When do you need new pistons and when can you just replace rings?

4. Is the oil leak in that second engine due to sticking oil pressure relief
valve? How do you diagnose such a thing?

5. Anyone have experience putting a Toyota engine/transmission in a
Spitfire? (say from a Celica, maybe)

6. Anybody need (another) parts car?

7. Anybody need an anchor?

brent "starting to get a little tired of this" martin