control box

To: triumphs@autox.team.net (triumph cars list)
Subject: control box
From: asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk (Adrian Jefferies)
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 1995 13:11:51 +0100 (BST)
hi

The dynamo control box on my TR4 is misbehaving: this item contains
undervoltage & overvoltage sensors comprised of a couple of electromagnetic
switches, like relays. Its the undervoltage boy that seems "sticky",
when the idle drops below about 900rpm then ignition light comes on
and alas, usually stays on.

I've you red-line the engine it may trigger it & and the ignition light
goes off. It disconnects ok & I've tried adjusting it via the set screw
as per the book, but that just seems to make it unwilling to disconnect
(a bad thing). I tried gently bending the endstop, but again to no
avail. When it does engage (aided by my finger) it seems to snap on
pretty positively & as I said above, it disengages ok.

The charging system seems fine otherwise. I suspect I'm getting caught
in the percentages, maybe the dynamo isnt quite putting out enought charge,
maybe there is a poor connection somewhere. I have a couple of other
control boxes (of unknown quality!) somewhere, so I might try them.
If I feel adventurous perhaps I could add another turn to the coil?

Any clues? It all worked ok until a few weeks ago ....

--

Regards, Adrian + TR4
        asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk