Re: Thanks for sump/oil pump advice

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, cboston@zeu.tt.umist.ac.uk
Subject: Re: Thanks for sump/oil pump advice
From: jab@netrix.com
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 1995 11:07:28 +0500
> New oil filter, new oil, no leaks...and no oil preasure (according to light
> that used to go off before I cleaned everything).
>
> What have I done wrong?
>
> Is it because I didn't lubricate it?

BINGO!  You must prime the pump first.

> Do I have to take the sump/oil pump off again?

Maybe not.  If you have the motor out of the car, it might be possible to
prime the pump by pouring oil through the oil filter passage which runs
between the filter and the pump.  If you didn't pull the motor, you
might have to remove the sump/pump.

> Can I check for correct operation of pump without removing sump/pump?

I dunno about Spit 1500 motors, but if you can turn the pump with an
electric drill or some other tool, you should be able to verify that the
oil pressure comes up.  On 'mericun V8s, the oil pump is driven by the
same shaft as the dizzy.  Just remove the dizzy and you can spin the oil
pump.

> Is there a god?

Yes, but s/he doesn't work for the US Department of Justice (unfortunately).

> Help, please Help, PLEASE HELP!!!
> Chris.
>        1977 - Spitfire 1500 O/D.

Best of luck.