Puzzler of the week...

To: Ken Bertschy <Ken@yourteam.com>
Subject: Puzzler of the week...
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 22:00:49 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, Scions of Lucas <british-cars@autox.team.net>
On Thu, 28 Sep 1995, Ken Bertschy wrote:

> All this talk about GT6/Spitfire tranny swaps has me thinking. My 77 Spit
> recently ate it's third tranny. I found a mechanic who said he worked for
> Triumph at Coventry (I wouldn't admit to that if I were him). Anyway, he
> found a used tranny for me, It looked just like the standard 4 speed Spit
> tranny. But, he said he got it out of an MG! The shifter was a spitfire
> shifter but it had an MG gearshift knob on it. Is this possible?

        MG did use the Triumph engine and tranny, but there is one (at least)
difference between the transmissions.  I'm not talking about the rear
mount or the exhaust hanger bracket.  This is an actual difference and
is in either the bellhousing, gearbox or extension/shifter housing.
        Does anyone know what this difference is?  Let's make it a puzzler!

HINT: there may be an error in the wording of Ken's post which could lead
you to the solution.

                Greg
                            Greg Meboe     meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu
                            Web site>> http://www.scs.wsu.edu/~meboe
                            Dept. of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                            Washington State University,  Pullman, Wa.
                            '85 XJ-12 H.E. (daily)  '67 Spit-6 '74 TR-6