importing cars into the USA

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: importing cars into the USA
From: Richard_Jackson@FTDETRCK-CCMAIL.ARMY.MIL
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 95 10:43:25 EST
     is the straight scoop.  A co-workers dad just retired from the
     Department of Transportation, as the head of vehicle safety
     compliance, so he should know right!  He said January 1st, 1968 is the
     cutoff date for having to comply with any Government standards.  As
     the car in mention was a 68, that's tough luck.  The car would only
     have to meet the 1968 US standards though, probably seatbelts and head
     restraints.  To get the US DOT voice mail info line, which should
     cover importing vehicles, call 202-366-5286.  If you still can't find
     out what you need, shoot me a note, and I'll give you the office
     number of a DOT person who should know.

     Richard Jackson (USA!USA!USA! version)
     "But officer, I couldn't have been speeding, my speedometer and tach
     always read zero!"  72 MKIV

     Never stand too close to a three-year old when he says SPIT-fire