Re: Wheels for TR4 and TR6

To: rgs03@health.state.ny.us, Triumph owners list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wheels for TR4 and TR6
From: pcarson@primenet.com (Paul A. Carson)
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 14:03:00 -0700
At 11:34 9/25/95 EDT, rgs03@health.state.ny.us wrote:

>I was under the impression that TR2 through TR6 all had the same
>bolt pattern and spacing, so the wheels for the entire range would
>then be interchangeable (within reason, obviously this is only as
>applies to the bolt pattern and spacing. Offset and width are limiting
>factors as well.) Is this true?
>
>Someone mentioned that SAAB mags would fit. This IS true. I once used
>a TR3 wheel and tire on the '74 SAAB 99 while I had the SAAB wheel off
>being repaired. Didn't know about the 240Z wheels though.
>
>Rik

     They are interchangeable as far as bolt pattern and spacing.  However,
if you use older minilites or others (5.5 x 15 or larger 6 x 15) for a
TR3-4A, you will have a problem with scraping the tie rod ends/sway bar/etc.
against the inside of the wheel.
     In the past, one could purchase spacers to mitigate the problem from
Moss, TRF and VB.  When I put some neat, period alloy wheels on my TR-4A, it
needed spacers for the front wheels.  I contacted British WW, VB, TRF and
Moss who all said that they don't carry the spacers anymore since the new
minilite/repros don't need spacers because of a newer design.  The Moss
clerk did look around the shop and found two sets languishing in a penalty
box somewhere.  I bought them.  The fronts will still scrape on something at
full lock, but I avoid this configuration as much as possible.
     There has been talk on the list about this before and a side topic is
getting studs with the correct length to handle the new wheels AND spacers.
I believe the solution was to get the longer TR-6 studs for this application.
     Whatever the reason, I do love my alloy wheels, but until I can find an
old-style wheel balancing place that balances your wheels while they are on
the car, I don't feel that they are properly balanced.  The spacer slides
around and must be held in place whilst tightening the wheel studs.  I still
have a little vibration at speed, and can only point the finger at the
wheels/spacers.
     A side request...I have only seen one other TR with alloys like mine.
They are 8 spokers and can be seen at http://www.primenet.com/~pcarson/
Pls., follow the HTML thread of British cars and select the link to my TR
photo and let me know a little history, dates made, on these wheels.

Thanks...

Paul A. Carson                    1967 Triumph TR-4A CTC 78299LO
Lockheed - Martin                 1974 Norton Commando 850 Mk. II
Lockheed Air.Ser.Co-Ontario
Chief - Flight Test/Test Navigator/Program Manager
MC/EC/NC/C-130E/H
Ontario, CA
(909) 395-2975