Another crank question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Another crank question
From: S1500@aol.com
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 1995 21:15:08 -0400
Wordly Scions,

I had my first look at the 'innards' of a Spitfire motor today.  This is a
spare
lump that has been taking up valuable garage space for too long.  While
having
a break from cleaning the crud off the outside of the motor, I had a quick
look at crank shaft end float.  I didn't a need a guage to tell me that there
was way too much play.  The cleaning was abandoned & sump removed.
I expected worn out or disintigrated thrust washers, but discovered the
crankshaft
was broken (quite cleanly) just behind #4.  This is not too big of a deal,
I've got another spare motor, but I wonder ...
Is it possible to repair a crank by welding it back together?
Is it false economy to attempt this even if it is possible?
What other damage might have resulted from this?  I can't 'see' anything
else that looks damaged.  I'm just wondering whether to try and salvage
the block, cam, pistons etc. or just scrap the whole thing.

Bob (school of hard knocks) Sykes
75, 78, 78 Spitfires