Re: TR6 windscreen removal

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, "Don Aldous" <daldous@fox.nstn.ca>
Subject: Re: TR6 windscreen removal
From: "Himelfarb, Mike" <mike@sdm.ShoppersDrugMart.ca>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 1995 14:26:42 -0400
Encoding: 1604 Text
Don,

  I spent quite a few hours over my windscreen frame last winter for
the same reasons!  "Hmmm..." I thought, "What could be holding the
frame on the car, if I removed the bolts?"

  Well, rust turned out to be the major player in this saga, and I
suspect it's the cause of your problem as well.  First, the two bolts
you're referring to don't have to be removed, if the frame isn't
rusted onto the brackets.  You just loosen them and the bracket
spreads a bit to allow the posts to slide out.

  What I ended up doing was a combination of penetrating oil, time and
a torch.  It ended up taking about a week to get it out!
Unfortunately, once it was out I found the frame to be rusted from the
inside out so I trashed it and started over.  Also, if your's is
rusted to the brackets you'll probably find the brackets are rusted to
the 'A' posts, etc....

  Ever heard of "shipwright's disease" :-(

Mike.