spitfire 1500 engine problem- follow up

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: spitfire 1500 engine problem- follow up
From: "Brent Martin" <b_martin@lifesci.lscf.ucsb.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 09:06:07 -0700 (PDT)
Dear ALL,

A week and a half ago, I report a severe engine shake and asked for advice
on how to figure out what was wrong.

I received a number of very useful replies. The generally fell in three
areas: timing went south, valve train broke, bought the farm

Following the directions I received, I took a second look and realized that
my leaking water pump had blown back onto the distributor. Not knowing what
may have been ruined, I replaced plugs, wires, cap and rotor. It turned out
that cylinder 1 was near top dead center so I did static timing check - was
good. I pulled the valve cover - looked good.

I restarted car - took off on first click   YAAH      but ran CLANG CLANG
CLANG CLANG.

Being optomistist, I tried to check the valve clearances. First 3 were good
but then I couldn't roll the engine forward - just wouldn't go. I tried to
drop the pan. I can't get it clear off because the #1 connecting rod "bolt"
is rotated down into the pan whcih jams the pan between it and the frame BUT
the "U-shaped part", bearings and bolts from the #2 rod are lying in the sump
and the crank has a 1/2 _wide_ break in the "verticle part" between 2 and 3.

dpo, Dpo, DPO, FPO seemed not to own a torque wrench.

So, how badly am I screwed here? My Moss and TRF catalogs don't list cranks.
What's this apt to cost? I would be very interested in knowing what other
engines are easily fitted into a spitfire (with or without a transmission).

Thanks for your assistance, brent
b_martin@lifesci.lscf.ucsb.edu         Santa Barbara, CA