Re: replacing all four Spit shocks

To: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: replacing all four Spit shocks
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 1995 11:05:30 -0900 (PDT)
On Mon, 11 Sep 1995 rgs03@health.state.ny.us wrote:

> Nick Benson seeks advice on changing Spit shocks.
[....]
> The fronts will require a spring compressor. Do not attempt to disassemble
> these units without one. Other than that I'll keep quiet. It's been a LONG
> time since I had the fronts apart. Maybe Andy Mace can offer some more
> detailed information.
>
> Good luck.
> Rik

The only thing I can add is that a mutual friend of Rik's and mine has a
really neat and easy-to-use spring compressor. It's basically just two
large "C" shaped pieces of metal, one fixed and one movable. The movable
part goes up and down via a crank handle in much the same way as the lift
post on a Volvo jack works -- slow, but virtually effortless, and quite
safe (unlike actually using a Volvo jack to lift a Volvo ;-) ) In fact,
one could easily remake a Volvo jack into such a spring compressor, and
I plan to do this someday.

If I find out more about who makes such a compressor, I'll post it here.
Believe me, it's a lot easier to use than threaded rods and the like.

  * NYS Library                         phone: (518) 474-8541 (voice) *

  * 10D36 CEC, Albany, NY 12230                  (518) 486-2152 (fax) *
  *  "I was wonderin' why we live so much longer'n our imaginations!" *
  *     -- Broom Hilda                                                *