Re: Transmisssion Oil

To: pwiegman@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: Transmisssion Oil
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 95 23:04:25 MDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

Paul W. wrote:

>I had a local Valvoline quick lube shop change the oil in my
>differential yesterday and to them to do the same for the transmission.
>
> He checked a reference book first. That said that a Triumph TR3 didn't
>
>exist so after letting him touch the car to prove that it wasn't a
>dream that I was projecting over the oil pit in his shop, he call a
>special hot-line.
>
>They told him that the diff and the trans took two different kinds of
>oil.  He had one for th diff, but not for the trans.  That of course
>was special order.
>
>What's the story here ?  Are the lubs in the two that different, and
>why.  What happens if the same is used in both ?
>
>Or is this another way to get a few more bucks from an owner of a fancy
>
>sports cars who is sure to have lots of bucks.
>
>Paul g. Wiegman
>1957 TR3  #TS14551L

 Paul,
TR3's, up to 60, required "Hypoid" gear lube in the tranx and gear lube
in the differential.
  After the introduction of Spitefire Mk1 and TR4A,(independant rear
suspension) this was reversed. The differentialrequired hypoid lube
and the trans gear lube. That not being enough. Triumph changed their
minds again and said to use SAE 30 in the trans. which, makes an older
trannie sound like a glas jar half full of marbles.
 I have found that for older loose transmissions, a mixture of Valvoline
60/80 gear lube with about 16 oz. of a special lube called Morey's
added to transmission quiets and helps preserve an older trans.
 Morey's can be found at most auto parts stores as well as truck stops.
Also works great to help quit a howling rear end, and mixes with all
oils.

Tony R.
69GT6
68GT6