Re: Cooling system leak

To: Michael Paul Ashton <data@havoc.gtf.gatech.edu>
Subject: Re: Cooling system leak
From: "Adam C. Beasley" <adamb@hubcap.clemson.edu>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 1995 23:25:33 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: pwiegman@ix.netcom.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
> > Sunny day here in W.PA and went for a ride.  Stopped for gas, and water
> > starts to come out from underneath the front of the engine.  Not coming
> > out of the overflow.  Traces to an unseen point below the waterpump
> > bearing housing.
> >
> > Put water in and headed home.  Stopped again to get a bottle of water
> > (Mountian Spring Water - nothing but the best) and left the engine
> > running, and no water leaks out !!!
> >
> > Water comes out when the car is not running, doesn't come out when the
> > car is running ?
> >
> > Once home opened the rad cap and lots of foam.
> >
> > Car's now sitting cooling down before getting to work.  Any suggestions
> > beyond replaceing the gasket on the water pump bearing housing ?
> >
> > Paul g. Wiegman
> > 1957 TR3   TS14551L

that's kinda weird... I have a 1980 tr7 and ran into the same problem.
When the engine was running, I had no problem... However once I turned
the baby off, I was leaking water.  It came from a notch beside the water
pump in the engine...  I have cured the problem (for how long, I don't
know) with gunk stop leak stuff!  Worked wonders...  So far I haven't had
anymore problems... at least from that... I'm currently trying to
fix/replace my overflow tank which decided to rupture a seam...
Good luck...

Adam Beasley
Clemson University
adamb@hubcap.clemson.edu