Re: TR-6 engine overhaul

To: Bob McLaughlin <bc433@scn.org>
Subject: Re: TR-6 engine overhaul
From: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 1995 08:46:33 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Mon, 4 Sep 1995, Bob McLaughlin wrote:

> I need sonme net wisdom.  I'm considering an engine overhaul on
> my '71 TR-6.  Is there anything I should avoid, or anything I
> should be sure and do.  I should say that I've not done an overhaul
> before.  I'd like to convert the engine to burn unleaded fule, as the
> leaded variety is becoming scarce.
> Are there any books that speak to the tr-6 overhaul?  I'm a careful
> person, I document everything as I remove it, so I'm not afraid
> to tackle the job myself, except for the head.  I'd like to have the
> head done correctly.
> So, are there any horror stories or tips?  I promise not to use
> any cinder blocks or 2x4 engine hoists....;)
>
> Bob

Bob:
IMHO there are some things better left to the pros. This is one of them.
What kind of shape is your engine in? Chances are you will need to have it
honed or bored; have the crank turned if required. My point is there are
some tasks you can't do at home. If you have the tools and the expertise,
there is no reason why you shouldn't reassemble the engine yourself, if
for no other reason than peace of mind and pride.Check engine shops in
your area for prices and experience; ask others for their experiences and
advice. I just went through this on my "6" and was fortunate enough to
have the service of an excellent shop. Contact me directly if you wish
more details.

Phil Barnes  '71 TR-6  CC61193 (found a broken diff. mount this weekend)
PS My 2x4 engine hoist works just fine, thanks.