Re: Spit front side marker lamps

To: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spit front side marker lamps
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 1995 10:20:16 -0900 (PDT)
On Fri, 1 Sep 1995 S1500@aol.com wrote:

> I think we have a bit of a translation problem with the words 'side lamps'.
> IMHO these are not what the traditional Brit 'side lights'
> The parts that are being sought here in the US are the US madated
> <side marker lamps>.  These are a combination reflector / lamp mounted
> to the sides of the vehicle.  Amber in front, red in rear.  These lamps
> were *not* fitted to UK home market vehicles.
>
> Unfortunately the rubber bits which Patrick and George seek have
> been unavailable for quite some time.  They are not included (to my
> knowledge) even if you bought the whole lamp assembly.  To make
> things worse,  all four of these lamps use slightly different rubber
> gaskets.  Although they could be interchanged somewhat, upsetting
> the angle of the lamps....

Perhaps complicating this even more is the fact that some of these lamps
appear to have used a rubber base not in black, but in gray. I'm not
quite sure what is correct for what years of Spitfires. Anyone know?

  * NYS Library                         phone: (518) 474-8541 (voice) *

  * 10D36 CEC, Albany, NY 12230                  (518) 486-2152 (fax) *
  *  "I was wonderin' why we live so much longer'n our imaginations!" *
  *     -- Broom Hilda                                                *