Re: TR6 - crankcase breather

To: paisley@boulder.nist.gov (Scott W. Paisley)
Subject: Re: TR6 - crankcase breather
From: "Chris Kantarjiev" <cak@godzilla.studio.sgi.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 1995 10:44:57 -0700 "Re: TR6 - crankcase breather" (Aug 11, 8:30am)
Cc: trs@eagle.gsh.jhu.edu (Peter Barrance), triumphs@autox.team.net
The emissions control systems varied a lot over the years - check your workshop
manual to see if the car actually *wants* a PCV valve. I know that later MGs
were plumbed with a gulp valve and no PCV, because the vacuum/breather went
into the air filter rather than the manifold.

But if the item in question is a sort of funnel shaped affair with a cover
that's held on by a wire bail, yes, it's a Smiths PCV valve. Open it up and
you'll find a spring loaded rubber diaphragm. I don't think you can get rebuild
kits any more, but a few years back (last time I needed to look) the whole
assembly was available for about $20.

The charcoal canister is usually plumbed so it sucks fresh air *in*, not blows
out, by the way...