TR6 - crankcase breather

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 - crankcase breather
From: trs@eagle.gsh.jhu.edu (Peter Barrance)
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 1995 13:26:36 -0500 (EDT)
Hi guys,

How important is the filter (valve?) that fits in the line which takes crankcase
fumes into the carbs on the TR6. I had my car worked on to fatten up the mixture
a month or two ago. When I got it back there was just a straight hose between
the
pipe on the valve cover and the plumbing to the carb ports. I hadn't thought too
much about it until reading some old email which talked about this as a cause of
smoking (noticed this last night).

Questions -

1. Do you think this is just a cowboy fix for my lean-running problem and I'm
just
burning more oil now?

2. Is there a generic replacement I could pick up at the local parts store? What
exactly would I be looking for?

3. Detrimental effects on motor running this way? Probably coke buildup. (I know
how to take care of that now)

4. Could this possibly have anything to do with why my oil pressure seems to
take longer to come up now? Values when running seem unchanged. I'm thinking
maybe
there'd be less back-pressure on the system? Or maybe the anti-return valve in
the
oil-filter stuck.

As always, thanks!

Pete