Re: Crystalized tube header

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Crystalized tube header
From: Silikal@aol.com
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 1995 16:30:45 -0400
Paul Swengler writes:
> Because it's hot in Hawaii and TR's tend to bring
>lot'sa heat in the cab I wrapped the exhaust. It cut down the heat
>substantially!
>
>This last week I noticed an exhaust leak sound. Went to look and found that
>two (that I could see) pipes had split open and others were crystalized.

This brings up a tech tidbit I saw recently.  The header wraps (Thermo-Tec
tape
and similar) are almost _too_ good.  You should only 100% wrap your header if
it is high-temp ceramic coated.  In all other cases, you should leave about a
1/2" to 1" gap between wraps of the tape to release some of the heat.

Dave Williamson (silikal@aol.com) Spits in bits