Re: Oil Light Shutoff

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil Light Shutoff
From: egilk@oslonett.no (Egil Kvaleberg)
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 1995 09:06:27 +0200
Newsgroups: mail.triumphs
In article <950720221136_119481189@aol.com>, TinyHost@aol.com wrote:
> >> For the TR6's I've seen an optional oil line which
> >> routes oil directly to the valve cover to help alleviate some of the
> >> problems caused by this design.
> >
> >I assume that you are referring to the external oil feed to the
> >rocker shaft, sold as extra equipment.
>
> You assume correctly.  :)  I've only seen the oil line in the catalogs - I
> was
> guessing as to where it would actually attach on the car.
>
> >Instead, it is a short-circuit of a restriction in the rocker shaft oil
> feed.
>
> Is this a worthwhile mod?

I've got it, and my answer is: I don't know. I'll take of the valve cover
one of these days anyway, and I can report on the condition of my 4? year
old rocker shaft/rockers when I do.

> And does it require the spin-on filter adapter?

No.

> And one has to ask the (admittedly) silly question: Why would an engine
> be designed with an oil feed restriction? Seems stupid to this uninformed
> individual...

I'd guess that the restriction was intended to allow a "sufficient" amount
of oil to the rockers, limiting the flow for two reasons:

        1. To ensure that a worn rockershaft does not unduly reduce
           the oil pressure by diverting to much oil away from the
           crankshaft. The capacity of the oil pump is not unlimited.

        2. To ensure that not too much oil is pumped upstairs, causing
           problems with leaks through (inlet) valve guides, and valve
           cover for that matter.

I have installed valve guide seals, so I would not be bothered by leaks
there anyway. But I newer seem to get my valve cover 100% leak proof,
esp. around the 3 nuts (hints, anyone?). Now it has suddenly gone so
bad that I've had an occurence of oil dripping on the exhaust manifold
when stopped - the traces of white smoke and nasty smell were not
particularily dignified - hence my need to reseal it.

Egil

--
Email: egilk@oslonett.no  Voice: +47 22523641/92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Smail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway