TR6 - Valve setting

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 - Valve setting
From: "Peter J Barrance" <pjb@eagle.gsh.jhu.edu>
Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 15:03:09 -0400
Hello everyone -

I've just discovered your list - I'm looking forward to sharing in discussions,
hopefully I may be able to contribute knowledge gained during my relatively
short ownership (9 months) of a 71 TR6 - C57267L.

I tried to set my valve clearances last weekend. Unfortunately, the car is
running worse than it did before. I'm not sure if that's the cause, because I
also rather swapped some ignition parts at the same time. Anyhow - I have 2
questions regarding the valve job -

1.      How exact do you have to be about turning the motor to the exact point
on the cam where two of the valve springs are fully compressed?

2.      What's the best way to set this point accurately? I was turning it on
the starter to get to the rough position, then tugging on the fanbelt and
twisting the water pump - but found it awfully tough to look carefully at the
valve-springs while doing this. I couldn't figure out anyway to lever the
crankshaft pulley round directly.

Thanks very much for any hints!

Pete

--

Peter Barrance
Johns Hopkins University Orthopaedic Biomechanics Lab

Phone: (410) 532-4492   Fax: (410) 532-4488  Email: pjb@eagle.gsh.jhu.edu