Re: TR6 Brake Bleeding Problems...

To: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Brake Bleeding Problems...
From: fisher@avistar.com (Scott Fisher)
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 1995 12:55:20 -0800
Cc: streeter@sanders.com
At  1:14 PM 3/9/95 -0500, Ken Streeter wrote:

>Everything is back together now, and I tried to bleed the brakes last
>night.  With my wifes help pushing on the pedal, I bled the rear
>brakes with no problems.  Moving on to the front brakes however, I
>found that when opening the bleed nipple, nothing comes out, when my
>wife presses on the brakes.  Nothing; no air, no brake fluid, nothing.

1.  How many times did your wife pump the pedal?  It can take a
surprising number of strokes to get the LMA all the way down the
lines after replacing the brake hoses.  For instance, if you drained
all the fluid out when you put in new hoses, it can take a surprisingly
long time to pump fluid throughout the system.

2.  Have you opened the bleed nipple far enough?  Could it be corroded
internally and clogged?  Could it simply be plugged?

3.  How does the brake pedal feel when you press on it?  When you
open the bleed nipple, does the pedal feel change?  Is it really floppy
when you (or your wife) press on it?  You may simply not have
the system primed yet.  This is the first thing to check.

4.  Have you got the master cylinder reservoir fitted properly so that
it draws fluid into the m/c when required?  Did you leave some kind
of seal in place that would prevent fluid from being pulled into the
cylinder from the reservoir?

5.  Is it possibly getting pulled into the vacuum servo?  I've read
that this can be a problem with some kinds of leaks; I've never
worked on a power brake system (other than to goop up the vacuum
hose on an old Volvo I had for a short period of time, but hey, it
had Lockheed brakes!) so I can't offer much help there.

> If I am *not* getting fluid, what would I need to do?

I hope this doesn't sound too duhhhhh...., but have you checked to
make sure there is fluid in the reservoir?  If I remember correctly,
all TR6s have dual-circuit cylinders.  It's possible that the front
circuit's reservoir is dry and you're just sucking in air when you
pump the pedal.