unbraking broke breakes

To: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Subject: unbraking broke breakes
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 1995 12:38:16 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Wed, 1 Mar 1995, John M. Trindle wrote:

> I'm working on the '69 Spit I sold to my girlfriend... it would pass
> inspection except that the brake lights don't.

John,
        The brake light switch is mounted on the pedal pivot, inside the
footwell. You'll see it if you stick your head where your feet go.  This
switch gets power from the green circuit, (key-on, fused), and delivers
this power to the brake lights via the rear sub-harness.
There is a modular (Grey or black) connector for the rear sub-harness which
attatches it to the main harness.  It is located behind the left glovebox
left-side cardboard flap, the same flap that covers up the windscreen
post clamp bracket.
        From there, the rear sub-harness travels down the door pillar,
under the floor cross brace, under the seat, up behind the wheelarch trim
panel, and into the rear fender to go over the outer wheelarch.

        Most likely the brake switch has exploded its guts
onto the floorboard, or the sub-harness running under the seat has been mashed.

        I hope this helps.

                Greg
                            Greg Meboe     meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu
                            Dept. of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                            Washington State University,  Pullman, Wa.
                            '85 XJ-12 H.E. (daily)  '67 Spit-6 '74 TR-6