Re: [Tigers] Horn actuator at steering wheel

To: Theo Smit <tsmit@shaw.ca> reip=0.000, cl=1, cld=1, fgs=0 FILETIME=[7339B270:01D97396]
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Horn actuator at steering wheel
From: Will Seay via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 10:42:41 -0400
Auth-sender: Tigers@embarqmail.com
Cc: JAMES ARMSTRONG <rollright@aol.com>, Tiger's Den <tigers@autox.team.net>

--000000000000b4cfc305f9c58fdb

Theo,
Yes, the horn ring provides a ground to the horns.  Grounding the wire that
goes to the steering column should make the horn blow.  In their infinite
wisdom, Rootes connected one side of the horn(s) to the + side of the
battery, forgoing the requirement for a horn relay.  When the horn ring
grounds the other side of the horn, current flows through the horn and it
blows.  The problem with this scheme is that full horn current flows
through the horn ring and the ring may become pitted from arcing.  If you
are doing some work on your horn circuit you might want to install a
conventional horn relay so the horn ring only has to pass the
relay-energizing current instead of the full horn current.

My horn was never reliable from birth and I was never able to adjust it so
I could rely on it,  Disassembling the horn ring assembly showed that the
ring was pitted in many places, and cleaning it did little good.  I have
recently installed a horn relay and it now works reliably.

Will - 382001570
Tigers@embarqmail.com

On Wed, Apr 19, 2023 at 11:39=E2=80=AFPM Theo Smit <tsmit@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Do the horns work if you ground the wire that goes to the steering column=
?
> The Tiger shop manual (online at tigersunited.com) has a really good
> cross section view of how the steering column and hub parts go together. =
> would also look at if the horn ring wiper is making contact to the ring
> that mounts on the steering shaft.
>
> Theo
>
> > On Apr 19, 2023, at 7:35 PM, JAMES ARMSTRONG via Tigers <
> tigers@autox.team.net> wrote:
> >
> > =EF=BB=BFHello. Time to take the steering column horn bits apart and fi=
nd out
> why they=E2=80=99re not allowing the horns to sound. What=E2=80=99s the b=
est reference
> paste to do this job.
> > Thanks in advance
> > Jim Armstrong Mk 1A
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone

--000000000000b4cfc305f9c58fdb

t-size:small">Theo,</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:sm=
all">Yes, the horn ring provides a ground to the horns.=C2=A0 Grounding the=
 wire that goes to the steering column should make the horn blow.=C2=A0 In =
their infinite wisdom, Rootes connected one side of the horn(s) to the=C2=
=A0+ side of the battery, forgoing the requirement for a horn relay.=C2=A0 =
When the horn ring grounds the other side of the horn, current flows throug=
h the horn and it blows.=C2=A0 The problem with this scheme is that full ho=
rn current flows through the horn ring and the ring may become pitted from =
arcing.=C2=A0 If you are doing some work on your horn circuit you might wan=
t to install a conventional horn relay so the horn ring only has to pass th=
e relay-energizing current instead of the full horn current.=C2=A0=C2=A0</d=
ass=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:small">My horn was never reliable =
from birth and I was never able to adjust it so I could rely on it,=C2=A0 D=
isassembling the horn ring assembly showed that the ring was pitted in many=
 places, and=C2=A0cleaning it did little good.=C2=A0 I have recently instal=
led a horn relay and it now works reliably.</div><div class=3D"gmail_defaul=
_signature"><div dir=3D"ltr">Will - 382001570 <br><a href=3D"mailto:Tigers@=
attr">On Wed, Apr 19, 2023 at 11:39=E2=80=AFPM Theo Smit &lt;<a href=3D"mai=
=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rg=
b(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">Do the horns work if you ground the wire t=
hat goes to the steering column? <br>
The Tiger shop manual (online at <a href=3D"http://tigersunited.com"; rel=3D=
"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">tigersunited.com</a>) has a really good cros=
s section view of how the steering column and hub parts go together. I woul=
d also look at if the horn ring wiper is making contact to the ring that mo=
unts on the steering shaft. <br>
Theo<br>
&gt; On Apr 19, 2023, at 7:35 PM, JAMES ARMSTRONG via Tigers &lt;<a href=3D=
"mailto:tigers@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank">tigers@autox.team.net</a>&=
gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; =EF=BB=BFHello. Time to take the steering column horn bits apart and f=
ind out why they=E2=80=99re not allowing the horns to sound. What=E2=80=99s=
 the best reference paste to do this job.<br>
&gt; Thanks in advance<br>
&gt; Jim Armstrong Mk 1A <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Sent from my iPhone<br>