Re: [Tigers] Engine removal/ paint questions

To: "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Engine removal/ paint questions
From: Tom Witt via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2021 14:02:39 -0800

--------------0eERqbZTVuYiHWoZ0HcYn05d

The roller cam 302 is a nice upgrade. Others who have done the swap can
better advise but the bellhousing you now have is a 5 bolt and the 302
bellhousing is a 6 bolt. The bolt pattern on the Toploader 4 speed is
the older style. I'm not 100% sure but some bellhousings I believe have
both transmission bolt patterns. Also, as I recall there was a (likely
rare) cast iron bellhousing that have both 5 and 6 bolt block
arrangement. I believe certain scatter shields had that too. You will
need the 302 flywheel and there are different teeth counts on the
flywheel. So, how that all mates up with the starter I do not know.  As
I said, others have done the swap and can best advise. I just know what
the potential issues are..., not how to solve them.

Keep us posted on the project. It can be inspirational (says the guy
whose Tiger has been on jackstands for almost 22 years now). And yes, I
can understand how the interruptions happen and the desire to not have
multiple cars disassembled and scattered about. All the best.

On 12/3/2021 6:14 PM, steve wick via Tigers wrote:
> This will be a long post, so please bear with me. I've had my Tiger
> for 20 years, but only drove it occasionally. I had constant problems
> with the wiring and fuel system that left me stranded several times.
> The last 10 years or so, I haven't driven it more than 100 miles per
> year, mainly due to work, health issues, time and the unreliability
> issue. I plan on going through my Tiger this winter, updating the
> wiring harness and, as a bonus, getting it ready to go back to the
> original paint color (Midnight Blue) throughout the car. As part of
> that, I was going to pull the engine and transmission.
>   First question. Is the engine compartment body color or black? My
> car was completely repainted, inside and out, in the 70's to some
> shade of red that now needs serious help. The engine compartment was
> painted black. I figure if I'm going to repaint everything, I might as
> well do it right.
>   Second question. I've heard of people pulling the engine from the
> top and from the bottom. It's just me, and my bench-pressing days are
> way behind me, so I won't be lifting the front of the car myself if I
> pull from the bottom. I don't see a good place to attach a hoist. I
> have a 4-post car lift, so can position the front of the car over the
> edge of the platform, block up the frame under the A pillar and chain
> the rear frame rails down and lift the whole car in the air, minus the
> front crossmember/engine/tranny, or remove the transmission, strip the
> engine to the block and heads and pull from the top. Which would be
> the best way, and why?
>   Last question. As long as the engine/tranny are out, I'm going to
> "refresh" them. I'm a hot rodder at heart, but don't want to mess up a
> rare car like a Tiger. I'm looking for something just to drive and
> have fun with, without getting smoked by a Prius. I'm considering
> using a roller cam 302 and a 5 speed, because of the ZDDP issue, parts
> availability, reliability, small boost in power, etc. How much do I
> hurt the value of the car by having the original engine/tranny
> available but newer stuff installed, vs. rebuilding the stock units?
>
> Thanks guys. Looking forward to everyone's input and opinion.
>
> Steve

--------------0eERqbZTVuYiHWoZ0HcYn05d

  <head>
  </head>
      swap can better advise but the bellhousing you now have is a 5
      bolt and the 302 bellhousing is a 6 bolt. The bolt pattern on the
      Toploader 4 speed is the older style. I'm not 100% sure but some
      bellhousings I believe have both transmission bolt patterns.
      Also, as I recall there was a (likely rare) cast iron bellhousing
      that have both 5 and 6 bolt block arrangement. I believe certain
      scatter shields had that too. You will need the 302 flywheel and
      there are different teeth counts on the flywheel. So, how that all
      mates up with the starter I do not know.  As I said, others have
      done the swap and can best advise. I just know what the potential
      issues are..., not how to solve them.</p>
      guy whose Tiger has been on jackstands for almost 22 years now).
      And yes, I can understand how the interruptions happen and the
      desire to not have multiple cars disassembled and scattered about.
      All the best.<br>
      Tigers wrote:<br>
cite="mid:SA1PR06MB83561A6E725A84E67133CDC9D86B9@SA1PR06MB8356.namprd06.prod.outlook.com">
{margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;}</style>
        font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
        This will be a long post, so please bear with me. I've had my
        Tiger for 20 years, but only drove it occasionally. I had
        constant problems with the wiring and fuel system that left me
        stranded several times. The last 10 years or so, I haven't
        driven it more than 100 miles per year, mainly due to work,
        health issues, time and the unreliability issue. I plan on going
        through my Tiger this winter, updating the wiring harness and,
        as a bonus, getting it ready to go back to the original paint
        color (Midnight Blue) throughout the car. As part of that, I was
        going to pull the engine and transmission. </div>
        font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
          First question. Is the engine compartment body color or black?
        My car was completely repainted, inside and out, in the 70's to
        some shade of red that now needs serious help. The engine
        compartment was painted black. I figure if I'm going to repaint
        everything, I might as well do it right.</div>
        font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
          Second question. I've heard of people pulling the engine from
        the top and from the bottom. It's just me, and my bench-pressing
        days are way behind me, so I won't be lifting the front of the
        car myself if I pull from the bottom. I don't see a good place
        to attach a hoist. I have a 4-post car lift, so can position the
        front of the car over the edge of the platform, block up the
        frame under the A pillar and chain the rear frame rails down and
        lift the whole car in the air, minus the front
        crossmember/engine/tranny, or remove the transmission, strip the
        engine to the block and heads and pull from the top. Which would
        be the best way, and why?</div>
        font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
          Last question. As long as the engine/tranny are out, I'm going
        to "refresh" them. I'm a hot rodder at heart, but don't want to
        mess up a rare car like a Tiger. I'm looking for something just
        to drive and have fun with, without getting smoked by a Prius.
        I'm considering using a roller cam 302 and a 5 speed, because of
        the ZDDP issue, parts availability, reliability, small boost in
        power, etc. How much do I hurt the value of the car by having
        the original engine/tranny available but newer stuff installed,
        vs. rebuilding the stock units?</div>
        font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
        font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
        Thanks guys. Looking forward to everyone's input and opinion.</div>
        font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
        font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
        Steve</div>
      <fieldset class="moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"
wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:tigers@autox.team.net";>tigers@autox.team.net</a>

href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers</a>
 <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/archive";>http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

Unsubscribe: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/atwittsend@verizon.net";>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/atwittsend@verizon.net</a>

</pre>
--------------0eERqbZTVuYiHWoZ0HcYn05d--

--===============1622966530958586113==