Re: [Tigers] Battery size type

To: <rollright@aol.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Battery size type
From: Tom Witt via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2016 16:23:54 -0800
There was a post yesterday by Bob Petokas stating the size was 27 and he
included pictures. Perhaps you didn't receive it?  Note that not all
batteries are exactly the stated size common to their group size. There are
minor variations.  Additionally, the tray underneath the battery, the height
of the posts and how far down the battery clamps go on those posts (and even
the clamp design - some arching upwards at the wire attachment point) can
contribute to the total height being elevated.  Lastly the plywood surface
might be arching downward from age or weight having been previously upon it.

So, just getting the original factory stated size of a group 27 battery
might no alleviate the problem.  I'd measure the total height you can accept
and then search for a Group 27 battery that meets that specific height.
Most cars do not have the tight cover over the battery like the Tiger has.
Thus small variations are not a problem in general. But with the Tiger the
total height does potentially become an issue.  Your existing battery should
have a Group number on it.  The internet is full of sites showing the
generic stated dimensions of car batteries.  By this deduction you can see
if you have a non-original size (thus you contact issues) or you need a
group 27 battery shorter that the Group 27 battery you may now have (if in
fact that is what you have).