Re: [Tigers] 427 Tiger

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] 427 Tiger
From: Larry Mayfield <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 15:09:17 -0800
I like the car!  And the 427 is not the 427 of old, ie it is not an FE
motor but rather a bored and stroked 351 based small block Ford.  Power
is not likely to be berserk. Maybe 450 or so and lots of our Tiger
brethern are running 347 motors with similar power.  Might be a bit more
torquey but not insanley so.  So what's the beef with the car? That it
is nor will be "restored"?  Each of us gets to do what we want with our
cars, don't we?  Whoever owns the car now was no doubt rightfully proud
of it so what disparage the effort?

I find the notion of big tires interesting.  Maybe in a rain storm they
are difficult, but a few minutes reviewing high school physics will show
that when one is dealing with  friction, which is what traction
generally is, that patch area is not in the equation.  Weight on the
tires is the main issure for traction.  If you have more torque than can
be transmitted to the ground, add weight until  you get traction.
Remember the old days when drag cars were lifted way up so that t hey
had weight transfer...yup, putting the weight on the rear tires to
increase traction.

As I aid,nice car! Wish it were mine!

mayf

drmayf