Re: [Tigers] Best Carburetor

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Best Carburetor
From: Sandy Ganz <sganz@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 17:04:24 -0700 (PDT)
I love the title of this chain..

And the winner is... well you know the
answer -

Nothing that you get, open a box and dump on your car.

I have run
AFB's (single and dual quads) and an odd array of holley's (A three barrel
made it on a car at one time), a Quadra Jet on a Dual Quad, and all of them
worked OK but that was about all you can say at best. I have run modified
holley's that are hands down better then anything that are coming out of a box
beacuse someone took the time to set them up and build them right and then
tune them correctly. The modern carb is still very much the same as it was
back in prehistoric days, and it's an ugly beast but works ok without much
work, but can work really well if time spent on it.

Have recently used these
crazy carbs from DamBest Carburetors http://www.dambest.com/ and while the
price is crazy, it about what you would pay for a preped carb, and it's not a
Holley ;)

The most interesting part was taking to the guy at DamBest when
ordering a carb and he asked me a lot of very detailed question about the
engine, build cam specs and head flow, car, driving intentions, etc. Which was
interesting that is was different then the generic 'what size motor does it
have...'  It's still a black voodo art as far as I'm concern, and it does
require a load of patience which I don't have anymore.

Fuel injection, ya,
that's the answere ;)

Sandy
Tigers@autox.team.net