Re: [Tigers] Shelby Tigers?

To: Tony Somebody <achd73@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Shelby Tigers?
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 12:13:03 -0700
Lot's of back and forth about Shelby and Tigers.  Here are a few points
to consider:

Firstly, Carroll put a 260 cid engine in his first creation, as a 289
was not available until later.  The original car, and subsequent were
known as AC Cobra's.  AC manufactured their AC Ace with a "Bristol
Straight 6".  This engine was from BMW, and "liberated" by the British
after the War in 1945.

In September 1961, Shelby airmailed AC a letter asking them if they
would build him a car modified to accept a V8 engine. AC agreed,
provided a suitable engine could be found. He first went to Chevrolet to
see if they would provide him with engines, but not wanting to add
competition to the Corvette they said no. Ford however, wanted a car
that could compete with the Corvette and they happened to have a brand
new thin-wall small-block engine which could be used in this endeavor.
It was Ford's 260 in3 HiPo (4.2 L) engine. First delivery was Feb.,
1962. The first 75 Cobra Mark I's (including the prototype) were fitted
with the 260 engine (4.2 L). The remaining 51 Mark I model were fitted
with a larger version of the Windsor Ford engine, the 289 in3 (4.7 L) V8.

I am not sure when the cars were named "Carroll Shelby's" AC Cobra.

Ian Garrard, Rootes' West Coast Manager, (and son of Norman Garrard
(competitions manager), and Jack Brabham's recommendation.  With
approval from his boss, John Panks, met with Ken Miles, and Carroll
Shelby in Venice, California. Shelby accepted the contract for $10,000
to build a car prototype for production. PLUS a commission on each car
sold! (Miles offered to build a prototype for $600, he was working for
Shelby at the time.)

An SII Alpine was delivered to Ken, and one to Carroll in April, 1963.
The "Shelby Car", built by Phil Remington (Chief Engineer) and George
Boskoff (Head Mechanic), while Shelby was off negotiating with Ford for
his Shelby Mustang, was delivered to Southampton on a banana boat in
July, 1963. One year after the first Shelby AC Cobra was made.

(Much history was garnered from Mike Taylor's "Tiger - The Making of a
Sports Car".)

Considering the design was done AT Shelby, if not BY Shelby (neither was
the Cobra), and he made a commission on each sale,  It is as
legitimately a "Shelby" as the AC.

BUT, at the end, it was Ian Garrard and John Panks who were the
"fathers" of the Tiger.

Enjoy your trip of life, it is a one way ticket!

Steve

___
Steve Laifman
Editor - TigersUnited.com