Re: [Tigers] Drag Racers, Watch Out!!! Not Tiger!

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Drag Racers, Watch Out!!! Not Tiger!
From: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 10:20:25 -0700
Sitting in my shed is the motor/control system etc. out of a 1981 Jet
Industries Electrica 007.  http://jetelectrica007.blogspot.com/   I paid all
of $102 out the door for it at a Pick A Part 50% off sale.  When the
cheapest gas hit $4.59 here in California last year it sure was tempting to
proceed. Of course at the cost of setting my 10 year Tiger project back
further.

The two holdbacks are the need for an early 80's Rabbit or early 80's
Chrysler econo car and batterie$.  Both cars used the same VW transmission
(1.7 engine) that the engine plate  is built for.  Ironically both VW and
Chrysler made mini pick up trucks (put batteries in the bed) that would have
the same (correct) transmission and allow for good weight distribution.  I
would sure like to get one of those.

While finding one is getting harder to do (the VW's are often diesel and
command a price) it is the battery cost ($2,000+ for 20, 6 volt, lead acid,
batteries) that is the real holdback.  As best I can tell the last only
about 2 years and then need to be replaced.

Theo had a lot of well thought out things to say regarding the "reality" of
an electric vehicle. To that end I drive a '91 Mazda 323 that car also get
42-45 MPG at 55 MPH.  And, even at the highest gas prices it didn't justify
the battery cost and their short life.  FYI that Lipo pack the guy in the
video ran was probably 10's of thousands of dollars and they do have a
propensity to ignite under certain conditions.  Ask any R/C hobbiest.

So, point of source power pollution, battery construction related pollution,
power distribution, limited range are just a few of the things to be
factored in (Liberal politicians take notice).  Still for those who find
interest a very cool  thing to do as a hobbiest.
Tom