Re: [Tigers] Electric Cooling Fans...

To: "Paul R. Breuhan" <prbreuhan@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Electric Cooling Fans...
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 13:53:14 -0600
Hi Paul,
I'm sure it's not the right answer, but my current cooling system has:

- no mechanical fan
- a 12" pusher electric fan from a 80's Toyota Cressida AC condenser
- the header tank re-plumbed to the right side rad tank (Rob Guerra was
making stealth rad conversions for this - it's not what I'm using but
you could do it that way)
- horn hole blockoffs
- Tim Ronak's lower radiator baffle to keep air from recirculating
underneath the rad
- weatherstripping seal around the radiator top and sides to keep the
air from going by the rad

So far it seems to work, although I haven't tried sustained high-speed
operation at high ambient temperatures yet. It will definitely be
marginal on the 90 degree days and stop-and-go traffic combination, just
because unless the fan is on you need to be moving to get airflow
through the rad. However, running the header tank from the cold radiator
tank gets you five or six PSI of extra cooling system pressure and that
helps prevent boilovers and puking. I've gone to 220 degrees
(accidentally pulled the fuse for the fan and had it sitting in the
driveway... Bad idea) and it wasn't spitting anything.

My longer term plan is to get an aluminum rad with the plumbing
arrangement that I want - that should help the cooling system efficiency
as well as taking about ten pounds off the front of the car.

Theo