Re: [Tigers] Pertronix selection

To: <Rollright@aol.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Pertronix selection
From: "Rense, Mark (GE Indust, ConsInd)" <mark.rense@ge.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 10:18:45 -0500
Jim,
I run stock points in the stock motor on B382001465 and a Pertronix
Ignitor I unit and coil on the 289 in B382000991, no ballast resistor.
The 991 car has a dual-point (mechanical advance only) distributor. I
have and have had similar units in other cars over the years without
issue, except for one.

The only problem I've had with these units is when clearance between the
stator and sensor is not adequate and the stator rubs on the sensor
block, causing intermittent running and eventual failure. The root cause
was a combination of not enough initial clearance provided by the screw
adjustment slot on the sensor unit compounded by worn bushings in the
distributor. A rebuild cured the distributor, the replacement Pertronix
unit still only allowed about .018" gap, so I filed the clearance hole
slot enough to get the required air gap. That was about 20K miles ago,
no more issues. It may have been my distributor, but be sure to check
that gap.

As a side note, the aftermarket distributors I have tried would not
clear the F4B casting without machine work, which is why I stayed with
the dual-point when I built this 289 a couple years ago. Anyone else
experience this?

Bugz