Gas tank sealer

To: tigerlist <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gas tank sealer
From: Robert Melusky <tigerknut66@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 15:27:59 -0700 (PDT)
I have been having some problems with my Bugeye running out of fuel in the
float bowls.  It started after I rejetted the carbs because I was not getting
all the top end performance I should have been getting with my modified 948.

After a high speed run, the car would run out of gas (in the fuel bowl).  It
progressively got worse until last weekend the car ran out 4 times in the last
mile home and the only way I could get a little distance was to pressurize the
tank with lung power to push fuel into the float bowls. You learn not to
release pressure too quickly to avoid fuel blow back.....

I have had an electric fuel pump on the list for a while, so I installed that
on Saturday.  The car started on first crank instaed of many cranks to get the
mechanical pump working.

After initial optimism, the car died and nothing was moving again. Draining the
gas out of the tank, I had to poke a tool up in the drain hole because
something was impeding flow.  I pulled the tank and it was full of sheets of
plastic Eastwood tank sealer.  I cleaned it out the best I could, but I could
not reach the plastic pickup screen. I took a chance and put it back together
and I still have no flow unless I force it with some pressure.  I've quit for
the day, but forewarned is forearmed. My sealer was in since 1990 or so and now
it is junk.  It was not an epoxy product as it was single part material.  maybe
all the ethanol is the culprit, but I would not use a sealer again unless I had
a specific need to repair a leaking tank made of unobtanium ( Mark Donahue
coined this great word)

Bob Melusky